The coffee with the moka is an art and a ritual for many Italians and doing it is very simple, but it is important to follow some precautions. There are many moka coffee makers on the market with different shapes and styles, but the most common has an hourglass shape.
The most common moka coffee maker has three main components: the boiler, the removable funnel filter and the jug or upper collector, equipped with a second filter held in place by a rubber gasket.
It is important to make sure that the second filter and the gasket are not worn, for this reason we recommend that you change them periodically if you want to continue enjoying good coffee.
The first signs to understand to understand if you are preparing a good coffee is the scent it gives off, the color is very important, which must initially be much darker and then tend towards a hazelnut colour.
The secret to enjoying excellent coffee is using good ground coffee, such as Prestigio 100% Arabica, Bio-Organic, Crema Aroma and Classico.
Let's now see the steps for preparing a perfect coffee with the moka.
- Add the already hot water, from 60 to 90°, into the moka boiler, up to under the valve.
- Fill the filter with a ratio of 1:10, if you use a 3 cup moka 150ml of water and 15g of coffee, leveling it without creating a mound.
- Place the moka on the stove, adjusting the flame to low.
- Leave the lid open to check the extraction. When it exceeds half of the extraction chamber, turn off the heat. The pressure inside the boiler will continue to release the coffee, avoiding bringing too many bitter parts into the cup.
- Do not let the moka bubble or you will get an over-extracted coffee.
- Stir the coffee with a teaspoon before pouring it into the cups.
Remember that coffee contains a lipid component and carbonized fats that adhere to the coffee maker. If your moka is made of aluminium, i.e. a porous material, you cannot use dish detergents but rather specific products to clean it. If your moka is made of stainless steel, you can use the classic detergent or the dishwasher, also removing the shower head and the gasket to eliminate all grease residues.